It was another ‘holding our breath’ moment last week—the weather was shocking, the children hadn’t been able to run their time trials, the track had not been marked …. was Sports Day going to happen? As if by magic, it all came together in the end with the sun shining down on us! Thank you for taking the time out of your day to come and support the children in their sporting achievements. It was wonderful to see the field adorned with an array of picnic blankets, chairs and families! I hope you all enjoyed your day as much as we did and thank you to those of you who have given us feedback about the day.
Carnival Day—amazing! A huge thank you to everyone who came to see the parade and dances because you created an fantastic atmosphere for the children to get a real carnival feel. I’m sure you’ll agree that the children looked fantastic and had achieved such a lot in a short space of time. I’m convinced this is something that they will remember and probably chat to their own children about! Once again, I congratulate the staff for their commitment to ensuring the children enjoy their learning at Summercroft.
Changes to the Attendance and Punctuality Policy September 2019—see website for further details.
Please be aware that from September 2019, Summercroft is bringing its Attendance and Punctuality Policy in line with other schools and following HCC’s recommendations. This means that Fixed Penalty Notices may be issued by the Local Authority.
Page 7 of the policy states:
Under the Education Act 1996, Section 444, parents and carers whose children are of statutory school age and fail to respond to requests by the school to send their child to school regularly or who take unauthorised holidays during term time may be issued with a fixed penalty notice.
- Fixed Penalty Notices will apply to any parent or carer who fails to ensure the regular attendance of their child of statutory school age who is registered at a state school or fails to ensure that their excluded child is not found in a public place during school hours without a justifiable reason.
- The Fixed Penalty Notice will be issued via the Local Authority (LA) upon consultation with the school and the Headteacher.
- A Fixed Penalty Notice will be issued when a child has had 15 unauthorised sessions (registers are taken twice a day and a session is counted as a morning or afternoon) in the current and/or previous term.
- The Fixed Penalty will be £60 per parent if paid within 21 days or £120 per parent if paid within 28 days. If the Fixed Penalty Fine is not paid within 28 days the LA will implement legal proceedings.
- Separate notices are issued to each parent in respect of each child.
- The Attendance Improvement Team regard Fixed Penalty Notices as an effective part of improving attendance and discouraging unauthorised absence.
Summercroft follows Hertfordshire’s procedures for issuing Fixed Penalty Notices; further information can be found using the following link – Click here.
Thank you for your support in this matter.